[R] Insall package

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Sep 10 14:57:41 CEST 2009

On 9/10/2009 6:44 AM, wesley mathew wrote:
> Dear Sir
>
> Subject: - *Install " rscproxy_1.3-1.tar.gz "*
>
>  I am working in Windows system.  I was try  to install *rscproxy* package
> in  two way.
>  *1.* install.packages ("rscproxy_1.3-1.tar.gz"),  It shows the Warning:
> unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.pt.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.9
>  *2. * install.packages("C:/Program Files/R/rscproxy_1.3-1.tar.gz", repos =
> NULL) It also show warning ( Error in gzfile(file, "r") : cannot open the
> connection In addition: Warning   messages: 1: In unzip(zipname, exdir =
> dest) : error 1 in extracting from zip file 2: In gzfile(file, "r") :
> cannot open compressed file 'rscproxy_1.3-1.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION', probable
> reason 'No such file or directory'  )
>
>  Could you please suggest, how to solve this problem,

rscproxy is available on CRAN, so you could just use

install.packages("rscproxy")

and it would download and install the right version for you.

If you really want to build from source, here are some instructions:

On Windows, install.packages() assumes you're installing a binary
package.  ".tar.gz" indicates a source package, so you need to add
type="source" to the args to install.packages(), as well as repos=NULL.

You don't mention installing the Rtools, so you may find even this
doesn't work:  installing a package needs a lot of tools that don't come
with Windows.  You can get them from www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools.

BTW, installing packages from source is rarely needed in Windows:  you
can get Uwe Ligges' system to convert the source to a binary for you, if
it's straightforward.  See http://win-builder.r-project.org/.  (I have a
feeling that rscproxy isn't a straightforward package, but I've never
tried to build it.)

Duncan Murdoch