[R] Data separated by spaces, getting data into R using fiel

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Sep 8 18:39:31 CEST 2009

On 08-Sep-09 16:17:00, David Winsemius wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2009, at 12:00 PM, Lauri Nikkinen wrote:
>> Ok, I think that I have to give up and try to get this data separated
>> by some char. It seem pretty much impossible to separate those fields.
>> Thanks for your help and efforts.
>
> The solution that Henrique offered seems to be a complete one:
>
> read.table(textConnection(gsub("([0-9]+)", ";\\1;", "DF12 This is an
> example 1 This
> + DF12 This is an 1232 This is
> + DF14 This is 12334 This is an
> + DF15 This 23 This is an example
> + ")), sep = ";")
>    V1 V2                   V3    V4                  V5
> 1 DF 12  This is an example      1                This
> 2 DF 12          This is an   1232             This is
> 3 DF 14             This is  12334         This is an
> 4 DF 15                This     23  This is an example

Surely the above solution is ad-hoc? It is based on an assumption
that the fields alternate Text/Num/Text/Num/Text (hence the "gsub"
usage), and does not at all make use of the field-width information
varlength <- c(2, 2, 18, 5, 18). It simply puts a ";" separator at
the start and end of every sequence of digits.

If that is how Lauri's data really are organised, then the solution
could work. But, if not, ...

Ted.

> Verus what you wanted...
>  > structure(list(V1 = structure(c(1L, 1L, 1L, 1L), .Label = "DF",
> class
> + = "factor"),
> +    V2 = c(12L, 12L, 14L, 15L), V3 = structure(c(4L, 3L, 2L,
> +    1L), .Label = c("This", "This is", "This is an", "This is an
> example"
> +    ), class = "factor"), V4 = c(1L, 1232L, 12334L, 23L), V5 =
> + structure(1:4, .Label = c("This",
> +    "This is", "This is an", "This is an example"), class =
> + "factor")), .Names = c("V1",
> + "V2", "V3", "V4", "V5"), class = "data.frame", row.names = c(NA,
> + -4L))
>    V1 V2                 V3    V4                 V5
> 1 DF 12 This is an example     1               This
> 2 DF 12         This is an  1232            This is
> 3 DF 14            This is 12334         This is an
> 4 DF 15               This    23 This is an example
>
> Unless you can be any clearer ... than you have been to this hour.
>

>> -L
>>
>> 2009/9/8 Lauri Nikkinen <lauri.nikkinen at iki.fi>:
>>> This is the file (see the attachment) that represents the problem I'm
>>> facing with the original file. I'm looking for some generic way to
>>> solve this problem. Thank you for your time.
>>>
>>> -L

> David Winsemius, MD
> Heritage Laboratories
> West Hartford, CT