[R] Unexpected behavior in friedman.test and ks.test

Meyners, Michael, LAUSANNE, AppliedMathematics Michael.Meyners at rdls.nestle.com
Tue Sep 8 17:26:52 CEST 2009

Alex,

It's mainly speculation, as I cannot check the Excel add-in nor Vassar, but I'll give it a try.

For the Friedman-test: Results of R coincide with those reported by Hollander & Wolfe, which I'd take as a point in favor of R. In any case, my guess is that ties are handled differently (average ranks in R), but you'd have to check with the documentation of WinSTAT and Vassar. If it is not documented, see what test statistic you'd get "manually" according to which handling of ties.

For the ks.test: See the ?ks.test for meaning of the "exact" argument of this function. I'd assume that Excel gives you the asymptotic p value only, while R will by default return an exact one for 32 samples. From the same help page: "Otherwise, asymptotic distributions are used whose approximations may be inaccurate in small samples". You could check using something like ks.test(myData$f1_A, pnorm, exact=FALSE). If that doesn't resolve the issue: do the KS test (semi-)manually, which should not be that difficult (even in Excel, if the need may be), and compare the D value with the one obtained from R and Excel, respectively.

HTH, Michael