[R] Video Analysis?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Sep 6 09:00:06 CEST 2009

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 1:07 AM, spencerg<spencer.graves at prodsyse.com> wrote:
>     What software exists for digitizing video to quantify the motion of
> specific features in the image?  I might be willing to use something that's
> NOT in R, though I'd prefer something in R (or at least with an R
> intereface).

 The 'Motion' project seems to do quite a bit:
http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

 Specifically it will capture frames from a video device, detect
movement, and write jpeg or mpeg files when it detects movement.

 You can control it via http commands (which you can send from R) or
it can start external commands on events (such as starting to detect
motion) - these commands could trigger things in R.

 Motion is GPL licensed which means you can take the code and do stuff
with it - it might be possible to link R directly to the underlying
motion detection algorithms.

 So what's left for R to do? Or do you want to use it to develop new
motion detection algorithms?

Barry