[R] Is 'history' recorded in Rscript?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Sep 5 17:16:16 CEST 2009

You did not make it clear (to me anyway) what computing environment
the Rscript command was issued from. I assumed probably incorrectly
that you were doing this from inside an R session and did not
understand that Rscript was an external program. If I was wrong about
that, then you are going to need to provide more details about your
operating system and how you have set up your R installation.

I also do not know what you mean by a "save session". Did you at some
time in the past execute a savehistory(file="savehistory,R") command
at the end of a session and it's now in the directory that Rscript
look for? That would be the only way that a savehistory.R file would
exist.

So what OS? What did you do before this failed effort? And what are
you really trying to do?

Then perhaps someone familiar with your OS can answer.

--
David

.
On Sep 5, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Peng Yu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got the following error. Does it mean that the files in the save
> session will not be saved in history in Rscript?
>
> $ Rscript savehistory.R
>> f=tempfile()
> [1] "/tmp/RtmpMEGKVq/file327b23c6"
>> savehistory(f)
> Error in savehistory(file) : no history available to save
> Execution halted
>
> Regards,
> Peng
>
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 1:04 AM, David
> Winsemius<dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:
>> You should be looking for .Rhistory
>>
>> Some OSes make that task difficult. "savehistory" is not the file
>> name but
>> rather the name of the function that performs that operation. Try
>> savehistory(file="text.Rhistory") and see if the history file is
>> easier to
>> find. Should be in your working directory.
>>
>> Rscript is a program, not a record of the prior session.
>>

>> --
>>  David.
>>
>> On Sep 4, 2009, at 11:03 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I run the following command and try to save the commands that have
>>> been run in the script. But it seems that no history is recorded. Is
>>> it because that the history is not recorded in Rscript?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Peng
>>>
>>> $ Rscript savehistory.R

>>> [1] "/tmp/Rtmp7WBjGG/file327b23c6"

>>> Error in savehistory(file) : no history available to save
>>> Calls: history -> savehistory
>>> Execution halted

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories