[R] Rdonlp2 package question

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Thu Sep 3 20:42:12 CEST 2009

Hi Richard,

Others have written to me about the non-availability of the Rdonlp2 package on CRAN and on package author's website.  Some of these emails had expressed the hardships that thay are experiencing because a lot of their codes are dependent upon Rdonlp2.  They had also expressed their frustration at the non-response of the package author.

This is a really bad situation and highlights a (rectifiable) weaknesse of an open-source enterprise such as R.

Your situation brings up an important issue for the R core/community to address.   My guess is that the non-availability of Rdonlp2 is due to GPL licensing issues related to the DONLP2 code that is owned by Peter Spellucci.  I am guessing that the Rdonlp2 package author did not obtain clear permission and GPL licensing from Spellucci before releasing his package.  This is very unfortunate. It should not be allowed to happen in the future.

When I created my BB package to solve high-dimensional optimization problems, I wrote to Marcos Raydan and Ernesto Birgin and got their "blessings" to base my package on their Fortran code, befroe releasing the package.  They even gave me a TPL license (total public license)! , which means "do whatever you like with it."

I am not sure what the best way is to ensure that the user-contributed packages do not have licensing issues associated with them.  But this needs to be done.

Coming back to your specific problem, can you give us more details on your optimization problem?  For example, (a) what is the nature of your objective function?  what sort of constraints do you have (linear/nonlinear, equality/inequality)?  This would help us suggest alternatives to Rdonlp2, if possible.

Hope this helps,
Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,