[R] variable selection in logistic

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Sep 3 17:28:28 CEST 2009

But let's be clear here folks:

Ben's comment is apropos: ""As many variables as samples" is particularly
scary."

(Aside -- how much scarier then are -omics analyses in which the number of
variables is thousands of times the number of samples?)

Sensible penalization (it's usually not too sensitive to the details) is
only another way of obtaining a parsimonious model with good (in the sense
of minimizing overall prediction error: bias + variance) prediction
properties. Alas, this is often not what scientists want: they use variable
selection to find the "right" covariates, the "most important" variables
affecting the response. But this is beyond the power of empirical modeling
here: "as many variables as samples" almost guarantees that there will be
many different and even nonoverlapping subsets of variables that are, within
statistical noise, equally "optimal" predictors. That is, variable selection
in such circumstances is just a pretty sophisticated random number generator
-- ergo Frank's Draconian warnings. Penalization produces better prediction
engines with better properties, but it cannot overcome the "as many
variables as samples" problem either. Entropy rules. If what is sought is a
way to determine the "truly important" variables, then the study must be
designed to provide the information to do so. You don't get something for
nothing.

Cheers,

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics