[R] Moving Rterm.exe to another location

Dennis Fisher fisher at plessthan.com
Thu Sep 3 16:32:30 CEST 2009

Colleagues,

I have encountered the following situation in R (2.9.0) with Windows XP.

I have an application that calls Rterm.exe.  In certain situations,
the application terminates but fails to close R.  Then, the next time
that the application runs, there are replicated copies of R running -
this slows the system.  One solution would be to kill any open
versions of Rterm.exe each time the application terminates.  But, that
would affect other legitimate copies of Rterm.

The solution to that problem is simple.  Instead of running Rterm.exe,
I copy Rterm.exe to Rterm-nnnnn.exe, execute that version, then when
the job is complete, I can specifically terminate that version using
Window's taskkill command.

Unfortunately, I just encountered a new problem.  If the R folder has
restricted privileges, it appears that I cannot copy Rterm.exe to the
same folder.  So, I attempted a work-around, i.e., move the copy to
another folder (e.g., Desktop).  However, this does not work - when
the copy is in another location, it opens, then closes immediately.

So, my question is: is there some means to call Rterm.exe (I assume
that the same would apply to R.exe) from a folder other the bin?

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
Phone: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)