[R] plotting vector of symbols

Wade Wall wade.wall at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 20:11:56 CEST 2009

Hi all,

Is there a way in R to plot points using symbols as defined in another
vector without adding a separate points line for each symbol?  For
example, I have the results from an ordination with ~ 35 points and an
associated vector that corresponds to different symbols in pch for the
35 symbols.  I would like to write one line, rather than dividing up
the 35 points into categories first, but I can't see to find a way.
Basically, I am trying to do this . . . .

points(ordination$points, pch=popsymbols[,2]), where popsymbols[,2] is
a column of symbol values.

Thanks for any help,

Wade Wall