[R] package installation error

Haynes, Maurice (NIH/NICHD) [E] haynesm at mail.nih.gov
Wed Sep 2 17:03:16 CEST 2009

Hi,

Thank you for your responses.

Héctor, I had also discovered the solution you suggested.  However, when I install files from a list (such as pckg.list), failure in the installation of one package in the list results in none of the packages later in the list being installed.  After moving the 'problem' package up one level and deleting the empty temporary directory, the name and name attribute of the problem package must be removed from the list before loading the list and calling the function install.packages() again.  With multiple failures in the list of packages, that can get tedious.

Duncan, I suspect you are correct that a file within the directory for the 'failed' package may have been locked by an antivirus program or some other background process so that the package directory cannot be renamed.  However, although I am able to disable the virus check of files on my home desktop and laptop (which I will do in the future), I have no control over such applications as the enterprise-wide antivirus program in my office desktop.  (I have administrative rights only on my local machine.)  Could the internal function normalizePath() be rewritten so that before it attempts to convert the path of a package directory to a subdirectory of the library directory it checks whether it has access to the file and pauses until it has access or for some reasonably short time?  Please excuse me if I have just displayed ignorance or arrogance.  I suspect, however, that there are more than a few users of R who have these problems and cannot control all the background applications on their machine.

Again, thank you both.

Maurice