[R] Best R text editors?

p_connolly at slingshot.co.nz p_connolly at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Sep 2 02:19:31 CEST 2009

On Mon, 31-Aug-2009 at 08:25PM +1000, Jim Lemon wrote:

[...]

|> Hi Liviu,
|> I was going to steer clear of this one, as my favorite editor (NEdit)
|> has become mildly incompatible with my favorite window manager (KDE) on
|> my favorite operating system (Linux) and I have sadly taken to using
|> KWrite, hoping that things will get better. Still, one must not get
|> stuck in a rut, so I decided to download Emacs and try it again. Twenty
|> four megabytes poorer, I find that things are much the same. Emacs still
|> has that annoying trait of being determinedly incompatible with anything
|> else, even if the conventions are quite sensible. Thus most of my
|> keyboard shortcuts that I use all the time just don't work. Do I want to
|> learn Emacs shortcuts so that I will hit the wrong key shortcuts on all
|> my other applications?

I sympathize.  I prefer the keyboard shortcuts that WordStar used.
The "diamond" was so intuitive.  However, even though I could have
configured Emacs to use the WordStar diamond, I noticed that strange
and all as it is, the Emacs shortcut system is vastly more extensive and
adaptable.  Now I rarely think of WordStar.

Because they're so utterly different from what ordinary software uses,
I don't find much confusion on the occasions where I use said ordinary
software.  One tends not to get German vocabulary confused with Chinese vocab.

I think it will be a very long time before Emacs follows
the mob, and if it does, many of us will want an option to use the
strange old system.

--
Patrick Connolly
Plant & Food Research