[R] Strange error returned or bug in gam in mgcv????

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Tue Sep 1 18:31:04 CEST 2009

The basic problem is that you have requested a 10 dimensional thin plate
spline, with a basis dimension of 196830. In reality it will not be possible
to compute this, even if you have more than 196830 data. In any case it would
be unlikely to provide a very useful model --- the "simplest" function that
it can theoretically represent will have 3003 degrees of freedom.

That said the error message is obviously rather unhelpful... Can you tell me
how many data you are actually trying to fit, and I'll try and track down
exactly where it's failing, and put in a more informative message.

best,
Simon