[R] Bayesian regression stepwise function?

Kjetil Halvorsen kjetilbrinchmannhalvorsen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 16:54:50 CET 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Ravi Varadhan <RVaradhan at jhmi.edu> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I have heard this (i.e. only head-to-head comparisons are valid) and various
> other folklores about AIC and BIC based model selection before, including
> one that these information criteria are only applicable for comparing two
> nested models.
>
> Where has it been demonstrated that AIC/BIC cannot be used to find the best
> subset, i.e. the subset that is closest to the "true" model (assuming that
> true model is contained in the set of models considered, and that maximum
> likelihood estimation is used for estimating parameters in the models)?
>
> I would greatly appreciate any reference that shows this.

You could look at Claeskens/Hjort: "Model Selection and Model
Averaging", for instance
section 2.3,  AIC and the Kullback-Leibler distance.

AIC corresponds to searching for the model with smallest KL distance
to thruth, while
BIC aims at consistent selection of the true model (assuming that beast exists!)

Then they go on to show that this two goals cannot be reconciled.

Kjetil