[R] Temperature Prediction Model

bartjoosen bartjoosen at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 10:38:25 CET 2009

Hi,

also interested...

If you are checking for non-normal behaviour, first let us define normal
behaviour: only small temperature changes and no steep ramps?

If so, maybe you can make an rolling average of the last x points, and check
if the following point deviates more than ... ?

Or is it more like a trend analysis, to see whether the last variation is a
trend or normal variation?
Then you can take a look at change point analysis.

gl

Bart

Aneeta wrote:

> [...]
>
> Best Regards,
> Aneeta
>

> Clint Bowman wrote:
>>
>> Aneeta,
>>
>> My "gorilla and mouse" analogies were referring to the magnitude of
>> the disturbance and also to its time signature.  Are you only
>> interested in the large disturbance which is abrupt (the gorilla)?
>> Or do you also want to be able to detect the more surreptitious
>> attack which may be quite gradual (the mouse)?
>>
>> You will want to define the magnitude (and perhaps the associated
>> duration) of the smallest disturbance that would be important.  I
>> would look at the entire data set to see what would be the
>> likelihood of detecting such a change given the noise in the
>> temperature data.  Or alternatively, use the global analysis to
>> help define the minimum disturbance that could be detected.
>>
>> Then see what can be done with just the first 7 days of data (or
>> for matter the past 7 days regardless of when they occur).
>>
>> I applaude your goal of looking at each sensor without referring to
>> other nodes but I think I would develop the analysis by looking for
>> anomalies in one sensor's data when compared with other sensors and
>> then focusing on those periods to determine an approach for
>> detecting a disturbance.
>>
>> Because you are looking at 7 days, should we assume that you expect
>> a day-of-week dependence?  If so, I'd be more comfortable if you
>> used more than one week to develop it.
>>
>> I fear that you've gotten me quite interested in this analysis,
>> good luck.
>>
>> Clint
>>
>> --
>> Clint Bowman			INTERNET:	clint at ecy.wa.gov
>> Air Quality Modeler		INTERNET:	clint at math.utah.edu
>> Department of Ecology		VOICE:		(360) 407-6815
>> PO Box 47600			FAX:		(360) 407-7534
>> Olympia, WA 98504-7600
>>
>> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009, Aneeta wrote:
>>

>>> Thank you everyone for all the responses.
>>>
>>> Clint you are correct in assuming that the problem deals with sensors in
>>> lab setup which can be assumed to be isolated from outside temperature
>>> changes. And, I am only dealing with temperature so the other parameters
>>> are
>>> not important.
>>>
>>> There will be no gorillas or mouses in the picture but rather some
>>> malicious
>>> attacker who would try to cause disturbances in the normal readings.
>>> That is
>>> why it is important to have an equation that defines 'normal behaviour'.
>>>
>>> The data-sets contain readings for multiple days. I want to take the
>>> first 7
>>> days for each node and establish a relationship between time(column 2)
>>> and
>>> temperature(column 4).
>>>
>>> My objective is not to model temperature variation throughout the year
>>> and
>>> take into consideration climatic changes. Rather, it is to define a
>>> for the given data which happens to be temperature recorded by nodes. In