[R] "The system cannot find the file specified"

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 29 18:20:59 CET 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, hadley wickham wrote:

(quoting Duncan Murdoch without attribution, tut tut)

>> Do you have write permission in C:\Program Files\R\R-2.9.2\library?  It
>> could be that the installer just tried to create the QRMlib subdir, and
>> failed, and that's why it doesn't exist.
>
> One possible reason for failure is that your virus checker prevented
> the R installer from creating a new directory.

Another (more likely, and mentioned in the rw-FAQ) is that a file
indexing service prevented the file being renamed.

As I understand this thread, the OP was able to install several
packages but the last one failed.  That's more consistent with file
indexing (a concurrent process that will interfere apparently
randomly) than with permission issues.  Anti-virus software normally
intervenes before the file gets written, not on renaming.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk