[R] Non-normal residuals.

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Oct 28 22:48:34 CET 2009

Folks:

If generalities -- with the attendant risk of occasional specific caveats
and violations -- can be tolerated, then George Box's (paraphrased) comments
of circa 40-50 years ago seem apropos: why do statisticians obsess over
normality, to which most analyses -- i.e. inference (especially from
balanced designs)-- are robust, when lack of independence of the
observations is the violation of assumptions that can reek the greatest
havoc on the statistical analysis?

Time series analysis and mixed effects models are among modern statistics
ways of dealing with such lack of indepndence, btw.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics