[R] Reading data

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Oct 28 16:59:41 CET 2009

On Oct 28, 2009, at 11:46 AM, Val wrote:

> Val, please take it slow, you are missing basic stuff here.
>>
>> (1) Windows Explorer may hide extensions; the 'Type' column should
>> read 'R file' anyway.
>>

> *   Yes I looked at it and it only shows type.  To check I downloaded
> another script with   R extension "test.R" and the type column shows
> the
> exact extension(i.e., test.R).
> *
>

>> (2) Script files are included in your workspace with the comand
>> source().
>> Please type ?source for details.
>>
>> (3) You should call files with their path and extensions (in your
>> case
>> 'Rossi.R')
>> I can open the script using this command,
>>
>      *  Rossi <- read.table( file.choose(),header=T)
> *
> *Why I  can not open with this command?*
>
> Rossi <- read.table("C:/Documents and Settings/Val/My
> Documents/R_data/prd/Rossi.dat",header=T)
>
> *David,
> *You suggested to use ,
>
> Rossi <- read.table(paste("C:/Documents and Settings/Val/My
> Documents/R_data/prd", "Rossi.dat", sep="/"), header=T)
>
> This is not working as well  I got the same error message.

H0: there is no file by that name in that directory.
HA: (or Windows and the email process is mucking up the spaces in the
path). I do not "see" a space between "My" and "Documents" in the
email representation.

  I originally asked and you never answered...HOW did your save
"Rossi" or "Rossi.dat"? Code and output ... we want all your code and
console output!

So, please reproduce complete code and complete error messages. There
are often details in those messages that new users are unable to decode.