[R] Reading data

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Oct 28 16:29:48 CET 2009

On Oct 28, 2009, at 10:55 AM, Val wrote:

> The working directory is
>
>> getwd()
> [1] "C:/Documents and Settings/Val/My Documents"
>
> The data file(Rossi.dat) and the script(Rossi.R) are in
> "C:/Documents and Settings/Val/My Documents/R_data/prd"

So you are not giving a proper path when you issue the read.table
command. The default path when not explicitly provided is to the
working directory, and you have stored your data elsewhere.

> How should I write to read the file?
>
>    source(???)   # what should be included here?

The guess I was about to make when I realized you were conflating data
and scripts was that you might want:

Rossi <- read.table(paste(getwd(), 'Rossi.dat', sep="/"), header=T) #
but that would not have been effectively different from the default
behavior.

So you instead want:

Rossi <- read.table(paste("C:/Documents and Settings/Val/My Documents/
R_data/prd", "Rossi.dat", sep="/"), header=T)

Only if you wanted to read in a script with valid r-code would you use
source().

--
David