[R] compilation options to get install.packages() to invoke tcl/tk

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Oct 28 11:57:07 CET 2009

Geoff Russell wrote:
> Hi UseRs,
>
> I've just installed 2.10.0 on Ubuntu hardy, compiling from the tar.gz bundle.
>
> install.packages() just says "Error in install.packages() : no
> packages were specified"
>
> The "normal" hardy 2.6.2 version pops up a tcl/tk menu for repositories.
>
> I'm assuming I missed a configure option for tcl/tk, but the configure
> script says that --with-tcltk is
> the default.
>
> Can anybody tell me what I missed please?

Not off-hand, but it is not supposed not to work; my SUSE build does the
pop-up just fine.

The output from configure may contain a clue: It should end with
something like this

R is now configured for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

  Source directory:          ../R
  Installation directory:    /usr/local

  C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2
  Fortran 77 compiler:       gfortran  -g -O

  C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
  Fortran 90/95 compiler:    gfortran -g -O
  Obj-C compiler:

  Interfaces supported:      X11, tcltk
  External libraries:        readline
  Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, TIFF, NLS, cairo
  Options enabled:           shared BLAS, R profiling, maintainer mode

  Recommended packages:      yes

If tcltk is absent, then you have a problem with your build
configuration (most likely, development packages for tcl and/or tk are
not installed).

Further clues can be found earlier in the output. I have:

checking for tclConfig.sh... no
checking for tclConfig.sh in library (sub)directories...
/usr/lib64/tclConfig.sh
checking for tkConfig.sh... no
checking for tkConfig.sh in library (sub)directories...
/usr/lib64/tkConfig.sh
checking tcl.h usability... yes
checking tcl.h presence... yes
checking for tcl.h... yes
checking tk.h usability... yes
checking tk.h presence... yes
checking for tk.h... yes
checking whether compiling/linking Tcl/Tk code works... yes