[R] Non-normal residuals.

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Tue Oct 27 23:06:02 CET 2009

  [Taking the liberty of posting back to r-help]

  I'd be curious what the particular objections were.
  I have one of those annoying "it depends" answers.

   In general, transformation can

  (1) change [(de)stabilize] variance across groups/gradients;
  (2) (non)normalize residuals;
  (3) change [(non)linearize] relationships with gradients or time;
  (4) modify interaction terms;
  (5) change the interpretation of responses.

 The problem is that sometimes these goals conflict.
"AVAS" (acepack, Hmisc packages) attempts to do #1 and #3 at the
same time.

  If transforming your data brings you closer to satisfying
the assumptions of your analytic methods and having a sensible
analysis, then that's good.  If it makes things worse, that's bad.
Other choices, depending on the situation, include robust methods
(for "outlier" problems); generalized linear models etc. (for
discrete data from standard distributions); models using t- instead
of normally distributed residuals; generalized estimating equations;
etc etc etc ...  transformation (if it works) is simple and (sometimes)
interpretable.