[R] R.oo and S4?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 20:28:14 CET 2009

S3 and S4 are part of the core of R so they would presumably be the
most used.  S4 is an extension to S3 but adds strong typing and a
number of other features.  R.oo and proto are packages on CRAN which
give access to different models of object oriented programming than S3
and S4. R.oo uses a more conventional model of OO than S3 or S4 that
is probably closer to what you are used to if you are coming form
another language while proto uses the prototype model (or pure object
model). proto tends to apply in user interface applications and there
is some info on which other packages make use of proto on the proto
home page at: http://r-proto.googlecode.com