[R] Getting AIC from lrm in Design package

Kyle Werner kylewerner10 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 17:55:14 CET 2009

David,

Thank you for your reply. I am not using glm, but instead lrm. I am
consulting the documentation to try to parse out what the output
"Model L.R." actually means:
http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/S/Harrell/help/Design/html/lrm.fit.html
("model likelihood ratio chi-square")

>From my read of the documentation, it appears that the "Model L.R."
output by lrm is not the deviance, but

2 * ln( [model deviance] / [null deviance] )

This is why I believe I am correct to be talking about likelihood
ratios instead of deviance, but I am unsure of this - which really
relates back to the core of my question. Whether or not I have the
sign wrong in the AIC formulation is dependent upon whether or not the
- is incorporated into the calculation of the "Model L.R.", above,
which is one part of my original question.

The AIC formula is, generally, AIC = -2*ln(likelihood ratio) + 2k,
with the best model (assuming the same observations) having the lowest
AIC. I hope that my understanding of this fundamental formula is
correct, but please let me know if not.

Thanks.