[R] NULL elements in lists ... a nightmare

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Oct 25 09:45:06 CET 2009

[Apologies -- I inadvertently omitted an example, essential for
clarity, from the examples below. Now corrected.]

On 25-Oct-09 09:30:51, Ted Harding wrote:
> On 25-Oct-09 09:52:42, Patrick Burns wrote:
>> 'The R Inferno' page 59.
>>
>> Patrick Burns
>> patrick at burns-stat.com
>> +44 (0)20 8525 0696
>> http://www.burns-stat.com
>> (home of "The R Inferno" and "A Guide for the Unwilling S User")

Which essentially says that

  If you want the component [x1[comp] of the list x1] to stay there
  but to be NULL, then do:

    xl[comp] <- list(NULL)

I agree that this can be very puzzling! The essential point is that
(moving to Maura's example)

  myList[2]  or, equivalently,  myList["second"]

is a LIST (whose only component is that component of the original
myList). On the other hand,

  myList[[2]]  or, equivalently,  myList$second

is NOT a list, but is the value of that component of myList:

  myList[1]
  # $first
  # [1] "aaa"

  myList[[1]]
  # [1] "aaa"

  myList["first"]
  # $first
  # [1] "aaa"

  myList[["first"]]
  # [1] "aaa"

  myList$first
  # [1] "aaa"

### the final example added this time, to show that $first is
### the same as [["first]]), i.e. is a value, not a list.

Note the statement (under "Recursive (list-like) objects")
in ?"$" or, equivalently, ?Extract

  When either '[[' or '$' is used for replacement, a value
  of 'NULL' deletes the corresponding item of the list.

Therefore changing the value of a comnponent of a list to NULL
deletes it. So you have to work at the list level, replacing
one list by another list. Hence Patrick's tip.

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 25-Oct-09                                       Time: 09:45:03