[R] R 64 and R: using 64-bit versions of packages in R (32)

Richard R. Liu richard.liu at pueo-owl.ch
Sat Oct 24 02:13:29 CEST 2009

I'm running R 2.9.2 build 5464 on OS X 10.5.8.  Having encountered
memory allocation problems, I ran the problematic code in R64, the 64-
bit version of the same build.  When I attempt to load openNLP I
receive the error message that the 32-bit version that I had been
using does not run in R64.

Assuming there is a 64-bit version, can I install and load it in R64
and, when I subsequently switch to R (32-bit), will 64-bit versions of
packages run there?  I'm trying to avoid constantly having to manually
switch between 32- and 64-bit versions of packages.

Regards,
Richard