[R] reset par() within plot layout

Tom Gottfried tom.gottfried at wzw.tum.de
Fri Oct 23 16:00:53 CEST 2009

Janke,

Janke ten Holt schrieb:
> Dear list,
>
> I would like to produce a matrix of plots, where par() is reset after
> each plot (see below [simplified] example). When I use layout() to do
> so, I seem to also reset the layout. I have not been able to figure out
> how to prevent this from happening.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!
> Janke
>
> Example code:
> #Desired result is a layout of 2 plots: one red and one black
> layout(matrix(1:2, nr=2))
> par.ini <- par(no.readonly=TRUE)

look at par.ini: it's a list with all the argument-value pairs for par(). You might be able to solve
your problem by removing the appropriate elements from par.ini before calling par(par.ini). Do the
following to look which ones need to be kept for the layout:

par()
layout(matrix(1:2, nr=2))
par()

Tom