[R] integrate() function error

andrew andrewjohnroyal at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 04:29:49 CEST 2009

Change e2 to the following and it works

e2 <- function(a) a^2/2

The reason it doesn't is that e2 must be able to handle vector inputs
correctly.   Your original function does not do this.

from ?integrate

f - an R function taking a numeric first argument and returning a
numeric vector of the same length. Returning a non-finite element will
generate an error.

You could change it to the following

e2 <- function(x) { out <- 0*x; for(n in 1:length(x)) out[n] <-
integrate(function(y) y,lower=0,upper=x[n])$value; out }

and it seems to give the correct answer for me.