[R] (no subject) -- rename to optim() crash due to NA returned

Prof. John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Tue Oct 20 14:43:55 CEST 2009

While developing updates to optimization tools for R (I was behind 3 of
the 5 codes in optim(), but Brian Ripley did the implementation), I've
been seeing this kind of error when the objective function cannot be
computed so returns NA. Examples: attempts to divide by 0 or sqrt(-ve)
or log(0). A crude work-around is to detect bad situations when
evaluating the function and return a very large number e.g., something
using .Machine$double.xmax  (I used this divided by 4 or so to avoid
troubles if algorithms try to do some arithmetic, as in gradient based
routines).

Most routines will "bounce off" such a value, but the scaling of the
surface is messed up so it is not always efficient. A better way is if
optimization codes can handle a "failed evaluation" flag and simply back
off from a step or whatever is needed, but in R non tools do this as yet
-- I'm hoping to put this in some of my codes using returned values
larger than some threshhold as the "flag". My 1980s BASIC codes had this
(and bounds and masks). However, it takes time and ....

For information, I'd like to know if this turns out to be the problem,
as it would raise the priority for working on such issues.

JN