[R] how to draw stacked ellipses to illustrate the shared and specific of multiple objects using R

Mao Jianfeng jianfeng.mao at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 09:10:40 CEST 2009

Dear R-help listers,

I am now asking for helps on how to draw stacked ellipses to
illustrate the shared and specific of multiple objects using R.

My problem comes from my population genetics study. Now, I genotyped
three species, and I get known about the amount of shared and specific
haplotypes in each of the species and their combinations. I want to
illustrate this result in three stack ellipses, with the shared and
unique area of the stack ellipses were annotated with the relative
amount.

 my data is as followed:

hap.type	hap.dis.num	hap.dis.per	types
hap.Pd	8	27.5862069	Pd specific
hap.Pt	6	20.68965517	Pt specific
hap.Py	9	31.03448276	Py specific
hap.PdPt	3	10.34482759	PdPt shared
hap.PdPy	3	10.34482759	PdPy shared
hap.PtPy	0	0	PtPy shared
hap.3P	0	0	3 species shared

Several individuals of 3 species (Pd, Pt, Py) were genotyped, the
summary of haplotype distribution in species level were contained in
the forward dataset.

Could you please give any direction on this graphical problem? Thank
you in advance.

Best regards,

Mao J-F