[R] Possible bug in plot.POSIXct regarding x axis

Remko Duursma remkoduursma at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 05:51:32 CEST 2009

I think it is a bug. Apparently plot.POSIXct calls axis.POSIXct for
both y (correct) and x (incorrect) axes:

set.seed(1)
x=seq(1,1e8,length=100)+round(runif(100)*1e8)
y=as.POSIXct(x,origin="2001-01-01")

plot(y, axes=FALSE)
axis.POSIXct(2, y)
axis.POSIXct(1,y)  # is what it does
axis(1, col="red") # is what it should do

Remko

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl at huftis.org> wrote:
> I believe I have found a bug (or at least a misfeature) in plot.POSIXct.
> See the following example code.
>
> set.seed(1)
> x=seq(1,1e8,length=100)+round(runif(100)*1e8)
> y=as.POSIXct(x,origin="2001-01-01")
> plot(y)
>
> This plots some random (date)times against their indices. The y axis
> correctly shows appropriate values (years), but the x axis contains the
> single number '59:58' in the lower left corner, which makes no sense.
>
> Compare this to a simple 'plot(x)', which shows the index numbers on the
> x axis.
>
> I observe this with both R 2.9.2 and 2.10.0 alphas.
>
> If anybody can confirm that this should be considered a bug, I'll report
> it in the bug system.
>
> --
> Karl Ove Hufthammer

Remko Duursma