[R] Pausing R

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Mon Oct 19 16:30:52 CEST 2009

In article
<d8ad40b50910190621t6389411bq9953a271f3ec85dd at mail.gmail.com>,
b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk says...
> If you can't get to the command line where you started R, then you
> can send the process the 'STOP' and 'CONT' signals using the 'kill'
> command. You need to get the process ID (see "man ps" for this) and
> then use "kill -STOP 12345" and "kill -CONT 12345" where 12345 is the
> process ID.

One easy way of doing this without having to lookup process IDs is to
use the 'htop' application (similar to 'top', only better). Just select
the process (a running R process is usually at the top, and selected by
default), press 'k' (for 'kill'), and select the appropriate signal to
send.

If you use KDE, you can press 'Ctrl + Escape' to get a similar graphical
process viewer. I *think* you can suspend processes from it, but I'm not
at a Linux machine right now, so I can't check.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer