[R] re peating values in levels()

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Sat Oct 17 21:48:13 CEST 2009

Donald Braman wrote:

> Can someone help me understand this results?
>
>> levels(as.factor(miset1$facts_convict))
> [1] "1" "1" "2" "3" "4" "5" "6"
>
> converting to numeric and back doesn't seem to help:
>
>> levels(as.factor(as.numeric(miset1$facts_convict)))
>
> It's messing up my ologits.  Any way to correct this?

If we can't reproduce this, we can't help.
Would suggest that you dig back through the
history of how the offending variable/data frame
was created to see how it could have ended up that
way (which is definitely pathological), and try
to provide us with a reproducible example.

Results of sessionInfo() ?