[R] two graphs 1 x-axis

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Fri Oct 16 14:46:28 CEST 2009

Hi Naomi,

Take a look at the lattice package for plotting. An example using your data:

library(lattice)
library(reshape)
a<-c(1,2,3,4,5,6)
b<-c(3,5,4,6,1,1)
c<-c(1,1,1,1,1,1)
bla = data.frame(a,b,c)
# melt is from reshape
bla2 = melt(bla, id.vars = "a")
xyplot(value~a | variable, bla2,
    layout = c(1,2),
    strip  = strip.custom(factor.levels = c("a vs b", "a vs c")))
?melt
?xyplot

xyplot takes care that the axis are equal, no need to set it yourself.
Lattice is a bit harder to get to know than the 'normal' plotting system
in R, but is great for multivariate data.

cheers and good luck,
Paul

Duijvesteijn, Naomi wrote:
> Dear R-people
>
> I have a question concerning plotting graphs.
> Here an example dataset
>

> a<-c(1,2,3,4,5,6)
> b<-c(3,5,4,6,1,1)
> c<-c(1,1,1,1,1,1)
> d<-as.data.frame(cbind(a,b,c))
> plot.new()
> plot(d$a, d$b, col="red")
> par(new=TRUE)
> plot(d$a,d$c, col="red", pch="|")
>
> What I would want is to plot de second plot under the first plot. So not in the the first plot. There is a way to divide your graph in 2 or 3 parts and use the same x-axis but I do not seem to get it right. Could somebody help me out?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
> Naomi
>

> Disclaimer: De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht (en bijlagen) kan vertrouwelijk zijn en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n). Indien u dit bericht ten onrechte ontvangt, wordt u geacht de inhoud niet te gebruiken, de afzender direct te informeren en het bericht te vernietigen. Aan dit bericht kunnen geen rechten of plichten worden ontleend.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Disclaimer: The information contained in this message may be confidential and is intended to be exclusively for the addressee. Should you receive this message unintentionally, you are expected not to use the contents herein, to notify the sender immediately and to destroy the message. No rights can be derived from this message.

Drs. Paul Hiemstra
Department of Physical Geography
Faculty of Geosciences
University of Utrecht