[R] reference on fisher.test()

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Oct 16 10:44:43 CEST 2009

Peng Yu wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:19 PM, RICHARD M. HEIBERGER <rmh at temple.edu> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Can somebody point me a book on Fisher's exact test? I looked a few
>>> webpages. But the descriptions on the webpages are not very complete.
>>> Is there a book on that covers all the aspect of Fisher's exact test
>>> that is implemented in R?
>> Section 15.2 of my book (Statistical Analysis and Data Display, with
>> Burt Holland and published by Springer)
>>  shows a detailed example.
>
> It doesn't mention odd ratio.

The general idea of basing the inference on the noncentral
hypergeometric distribution is something I have first seen in
Breslow&Day's famous 1980 book on case-control studies, including the
fact that the conditional MLE differs from the ordinary OR. (I'm sure
there's an earlier reference, but I happened to be a grad student when
that book came out...)

The rest of what R does is "carbon copied" from similar procedures for
the binomial distribution. I wouldn't know what kind of book to look for
for that sort of minutiae. Alan Agresti is a possible source.