[R] SPSS long variable names

joris meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 18:53:56 CEST 2009

You could read in the sps file in R with readLines() for example, and
then use the tools for regular expression and substring to find the
label statements. Then you can just use R to add the labels to it,
without having to pass through PSPP.

So you could actually just create an R script that takes both files as
input, and generates the output automatically. I's prefer to do it
that way than to use YAP (yet another program), while waiting for the
adaptation of read.spss...

Cheers
Joris