[R] General means of matching a color specification to an official R color name

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Wed Oct 14 12:26:51 CEST 2009

On 10/14/2009 12:05 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Bryan Hanson<hanson at depauw.edu>  wrote:
>> Works perfectly!  Thanks Barry.  I had actually seen some suggestions on
>> using a distance, but by then I was thinking about hcl spaces and distance
>> isn't so as simple there.  I'm too tired I think.
>>
>> Anyway, you've got me running again!  Thanks, Bryan
>
>   There's a CPAN module for Perl that does hcl colour similarity:
>
>   >http://search.cpan.org/~mbarbon/Color-Similarity-HCL-0.04/lib/Color/Similarity/HCL.pm
>
>   the Perl code is pretty neat, looks easy to R-ify - released under
> the perl license.
>
> Barry

There are a few unexported functions in the xterm256 package to deal
with this.

 > colors()[ xterm256:::closest.character( "#aabbcc" ) ]
[1] "gold4"

The package pretends it writes the text using the background of
foreground color as usually represented in R, but it actually first
grabs the closest color (in the RGB space according to the euclidian
metric, I have no idea whether a different space or a different metric
would be better)

This presentation might give a clue :
http://www.agrocampus-ouest.fr/math/useR-2009//slides/Zeileis+Hornik+Murrell.pdf

Romain