[R] default borders in boxplot and barplot

Jennifer Young Jennifer.Young at math.mcmaster.ca
Wed Oct 14 03:21:53 CEST 2009

This is my first post so hopefully I haven't mucked up the rules.

I'm trying to change the default borders in either boxplot or barplot so
that, at the request of a journal, all of my figures have the same type of
border.

I've successfully used par(bty="o")  using plot(1:10, bty="o"), but it
seems that barplot and boxplot have their own defaults that override this.

I've tried both
par( bty="o")
barplot(stuff)

and

barplot(stuff, bty="o")

Does anyone know a trick that doesn't involve using abline() to force
borders?

Thanks
Jen Young, MSc