[R] lapply() reccursively

Kaveh Vakili kaveh.vakili at ulb.ac.be
Tue Oct 13 20:06:53 CEST 2009

Thanks,Chuck answer is the closest to what i want (gives the same result as cumprod()) ...but using this function seems actually slower than the loop (is it normal ?):

a1<-runif(100000)
cadd<-function(x) Reduce("*", x, accumulate = TRUE)
looop<-function(a1){
j<-length(a1)
for(i in 2:j){
a1[i]<-a1[i-1]*a1[i]
}
a1
}

>system.time(cadd(a1))
>   user  system elapsed
>  1.344   0.004   1.353
>system.time(cumprod(a1))
>   user  system elapsed
>  0.004   0.000   0.002
>> system.time(looop(a1))
>   user  system elapsed
>  0.772   0.000   0.775
>>

>>On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Kaveh Vakili wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I was wondering whether it is possible to use the lapply() function
>>> to alter the value of the input, something in the spirit of :
>>>
>>> a1<-runif(100)
>>> a2<-function(i){