[R] Introduction to mark-recapture analysis in R?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Oct 13 17:58:15 CEST 2009

On Oct 13, 2009, at 8:00 AM, Anne-Katrin Link wrote:

>          I was wondering whether there are any good books and/or
> website
> links that introduce mark-recapture analysis in R. In particular, I am
> interested in exploratory data analysis of resighting data and how to
> create capture histories from dataframes in R.
>
> Thank you very much for your reply in advance!

Have you looked at the citations you get in the package that come back
from the obvious search strategy?

http://search.r-project.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%22capture-recapture%22&max=100&result=normal&sort=score&idxname=functions&idxname=Rhelp08&idxname=views

And I thought I remembered a posting from the author of:

  Ecological Models and Data in R (Hardcover) by Benjamin M. Bolker

.... saying that such methods were discussed and exemplified. But I
cannot find the link to confirm my memory on this point. (And now that
I check to see if more knowledgeable persons might have already
answered this, I see that Bolker himself says "he doesn't know about
books", so my memory may have been "manufactured".

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/library/Rcapture/doc/RcaptureJSS.pdf

And I am not a biologist so have no experience on what would be the
"best book".

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT