[R] Trendline for a subset of data

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Oct 12 20:57:35 CEST 2009

Others have show how to use the segments function, but this can also be done using the original abline function along with the clip function.  Here is an example:

plot( iris$Petal.Width, iris$Petal.Length,
	col=c('red','green','blue')[iris$Species])

tmp <- levels(iris$Species)
tmp2 <- par('usr')

for(i in 1:3) {
	fit <- lm( Petal.Length ~ Petal.Width, data=iris, subset= Species==tmp[i] )
	tmpx <- with(iris, Petal.Width[ Species==tmp[i] ] )
	clip( min(tmpx), max(tmpx), tmp2[3], tmp2[4] )
	abline( fit, col=c('red','green','blue')[i] )
}

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.