[R] xyplot does not find variable in data

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Oct 12 20:17:10 CEST 2009

Deepayan will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the answer
is that it looks in the frame in the data argument only for variables in the
formula argument. Note that the fact that it also works for the subset
argument is explicitly mentioned therein:

subset:  logical or integer indexing vector **(can be specified in terms of
variables in data). **

FWIW, I agree that this is not as clearly documented as I think it could be:
I kind of intuited it after a bunch of trial and error.

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics