[R] Running R scripts from a GUI interface

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat Oct 10 14:12:15 CEST 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Jason Rupert <jasonkrupert at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much for your response and it looks like R Commander is very capable, but I think it is heading the wrong direction from where we are looking to go, i.e. simpler interface.
>
> I guess (and I may be dating myself) when I was previously working with MATLAB I could use something like Real-time Workshop and EmbeddedCoder to export a C/C++ code of all our scripts that could be built into a DLL.  I would then use VisualBasic (I would like to use TCL/TK or other more current language) to create a very basic GUI that just had four radials and one text entry field and load in the DLL.  It would not have all commandline and all the other unnecessary bits, especially since the script reached maturity and would not need to be altered.

There is a tcltk package for R that lets you build guis, or you could
write your application in Python, use PyQt4 to build your gui (which
comes with a graphical gui designer) and Rpy to communicate between
Python and R.

 There's some other suggestions in the Graphics Task View:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/cran.r-project.org/web/views/Graphics.html

Barry