[R] svy / weighted regression

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Oct 10 11:02:46 CEST 2009

Sorry, forgot to "reply all"...

Laust wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am trying to set up a propensity-weighted regression using the
> survey package. Most of my population is sampled with a sampling
> probability of one (that is, I have the full population). However, for
> a subset of the data I have only a 50% sample of the full population.
> In previous work on the data, I analyzed these data using SAS and
> STATA. In those packages I used a propensity weight of 1/[sampling
> probability] in various generalized linear regression-procedures, but
> I am having trouble setting this up. I bet the solution is simple, but
> I’m a R newbie. Code to illustrate my problem below.

Hi Laust,

You probably need the package author to explain fully, but as far as I
can see, the crux is that a dispersion parameter is being used, based on
Pearson residuals, even in the Poisson case (i.e. you effectively get
the same result as with quasipoisson()).

I don't know what the rationale is for this, but it is clear that with
your data, an estimated dispersion parameter is going to be large. E.g.
the data has both 0 cases in 750000 person-years and 1000 cases in 5000
person-years for Denmark, and in your model they are supposed to have
the same Poisson rate.

summary.svyglm starts off with

     est.disp <- TRUE

and AFAICS there is no way it can get set to FALSE.  Knowing Thomas,
there is probably a perfectly good reason not to just set the dispersion
to 1, but I don't get it either...