[R] user input in R

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Oct 10 02:02:42 CEST 2009

On Oct 9, 2009, at 6:36 PM, Sharon Beckett wrote:

> I'm just learning R (I don't know any other programming languages),
>   and I have a question. I am trying to figure out how to ask for user
>   input (say, a set of 3 numbers) then put those numbers into an
> array.
>   I've looked around, but I haven't been able to find any answers
> that I
>   understand.
>   Thanks!

I am guessing that your version of "looking around" did not include
going to r-search and typing in "user input" because when you do, you
quite a bit:

http://search.r-project.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%22user+input%22&max=100&result=normal&sort=score&idxname=functions&idxname=Rhelp08&idxname=views

You could also try this at the console:

??"input"

Or even"

??"user input"

Althought the last one does not give you very much, it still has a
link to readline in the first offered hit on my system.

Also possible would be to install package sos and then try:

???"user input"

... which in this case gives you way too many hits.

--
David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories