[R] Satellite ocean color palette?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Oct 9 21:06:45 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Tim Clark <mudiver1200 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> Is there a color palette avaliable similar to what is used in satellite ocean color imagery?  I.e. a gradient with blue on one end and red on the other, with yellow in the middle?  I have tried topo.colors(n) but that comes out more yellow on the end.  I am looking for something similar to what is found on the CoastWatch web page:
>
> http://oceanwatch.pifsc.noaa.gov/imagery/GA2009281_2009282_sst_2D_eddy.jpg
>
> Thanks!

 You could build one yourself with the colorRamp function:

satRampP = colorRampPalette(c("black","blue","cyan","yellow","orange","red","black"))

 that looks roughly like the one in the jpg, but I'm not sure about
the black at the far end...anyway, let's see:

image(matrix(seq(0,1,len=100),100,1),col=satRampP(100))

Or you could try my colour schemes package:

https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/colourscheme/

Barry