[R] 64-bit R on mac

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Oct 8 18:53:20 CEST 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 11:59 AM, Peng Yu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My Mac OS is Leopard. I downloaded
> R-GUI-5496-2.9-leopard-Leopard64.dmg from http://r.research.att.com/.
> I run R from the image disk, but it always "quit unexpectedly".

It is hard to say. If you were really trying to run R from the image,
then that is just wrong. You want to use the disk image to install a
copy of R.app onto your local drive. Drag the R.app icon into the
Applications folder.  That is of course only the GUI "shell" and not
the complete 64bit R interpreter. If that is all you did, you won't
get what you expected, since the GUI won't find the needed 64bit
interpreter code.

I would go back to the web page and read the instructions more
carefully. I worry you may have skipped several other steps ( in
addition to the instructions you overlooked on how to install the GUI
app.)

> What could cause the problem? Is it because that I have a 32 bit R
> installed already installed in the same machine.

Doubtful. Most people who have installed the 64 bit version have been
in that situation, and it has not caused us problems.

> Regards,
> Peng

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories