[R] Evaluating/comparing dynamic linear model

Giovanni Petris GPetris at uark.edu
Thu Oct 8 15:55:36 CEST 2009

The standard asymptotic theory of likelihood ratio tests assumes that
you are testing a submodel, which is not the case here. Moreover, even
when testing submodels, there are other assumptions that often are not
met in the case of DLMs - the typical example being hypothesised
values on the boundary of the parameter space.

An informal, but commonly used approach to compare DLMs is to compare
their predictive performance. There are many ways to measure it. You
can find some of them in the book "dynamic linear models with R".

BTW, in the package dlm you find functions for MLE, forecasting,
one-step-ahead forecast errors (which is what you need to compute
predictive performance), and more...

HTH,
Giovanni