[R] re peat(?) measurement ANOVA or (general? mixed?) linear model?

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Thu Oct 8 08:56:22 CEST 2009

Wolfgang Waser wrote:

> I subjected each of about 50 critters (about 10 each in 5 distinct
> populations) to 4 consecutive treatments (exposure to increasing
> concentrations), with one measurement per treatment and individual.

> Since I'm dealing with 'paired' data, and also with a (expected) 'linear'
> response to a 'linear' treatment, how do I perform the proper analysis?

You could do this with aov, but it is not very flexible. I suggest that for
this type of data you should use lme in package nlmer where you can easily
specify "repeats" or serial correlation with the random term.

The book by Pinheiro/Bates should be in the biologist's bookshelf, it has
many example. Getting started without the book is difficult.

Dieter