[R] Installing R on Suse 11.1 , cannot figure it out

Cedrick W. Johnson cedrick at cedrickjohnson.com
Thu Oct 8 03:10:39 CEST 2009

see below:

Robert Wilkins wrote:
> Can't figure out how the install works, it is certainly not automatic.
> Also , the "Install" option on the R web site for Suse 11.1 does not work.
> And the install software native to Suse, cannot figure out.
>
> Does Suse have more problems installing software than Fedora or Ubuntu?

Did you try installing the RPMS listed under your favorite CRAN mirror?
(note, I didn't use the "install" links for the Readme file, I think you
could grab these using 'wget'

http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/CRAN/bin/linux/suse/11.1/RPMS/i586/R-base-2.9.0-2.1.i586.rpm
-and devel-
http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/CRAN/bin/linux/suse/11.1/RPMS/i586/R-base-devel-2.9.0-2.1.i586.rpm

You may also have to compile R from source...

> Or is this a hassle for any Linux distro? And Windows?

My windows installs have been relatively hassle-free (5 workstations). I
just finished setting up a small cluster (3) of ubuntu R instances in
under 30 minutes. So, your mileage may vary. I've found Ubuntu to be
rather simple to install R instances.

Hope this helps

*Cedrick W. Johnson*
aolim) cedrickjcvgr