[R] Fwd: Long for Loop- calling C from R - Parallel Computing

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Tue Oct 6 22:56:16 CEST 2009

Antonio Paredes skreiv:

> I'm hoping to get a response from some of the R gurus in this list. Is my
> assumption that R is not designed or build to deal with high levels (a
> lots of simulated data) simulation correct. For example, how to minimize
> system time; do one have to call a lower level language like C or Fortran;
> or just, like many of you have done,  do a lots of programing in R and
> eventually the tricks will be learned.

Please supply example code of what you are trying to do, and what the
difficulty is. As I mentioned, there should be no problem in generating all
the random variables at once, as R generates the same values if you do it in
chunks or all at once, but the latter method is much faster.

(The example code should be runnable without us having to have access to any
private or undefined dataset. The example code you mentioned in your first
post contains many undefined variables, and it is not clear what it is
trying to accomplish.)

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer
E-mail: karl at huftis.org