[R] Multiple time series and their names

David Stoffer dsstoffer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 19:37:20 CEST 2009

That info along with drop=FALSE seems to be a reasonable hack.

Thanks again-
David

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> You can use names using your example ts series like this
>
>  x[, "Juan"]
>

> On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 11:04 AM, David Stoffer <dsstoffer at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the help.  My basic problem is that I have given my series
>> names,
>> but I still have to call them number 1, 2, and so on, to do things with
>> them.  If I want to compare "GNP" with "Private Investment", I have to
>> remember which columns contains those series.
>>
>> The concern I have is that I'm giving these data sets to other people.
>> Now,
>> if give someone a data frame, I can ask them to compare John with Martha
>> without them having to know (or remember) that John's data are in column
>> 93
>> and Martha's are in column 22.  I'd like to do the same thing with a time
>> series matrix.
>>

>> David
>>

>> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>>>
>>> zoo objects can have one column with a heading and convert back
>>> faithfully to ts:

>>>             Juan
>>> 1(1) -0.37415224
>>> 1(2) -0.30875111
>>> 1(3) -0.02617545
>>> 1(4) -0.45053564
>>> 2(1)  0.15173749
>>> 2(2)  1.38545761
>>> 2(3)  2.11594058
>>> 2(4) -0.84970010
>>> 3(1) -0.05944844
>>> 3(2)  1.27543030
>>> [1] 1.00 3.25 4.00
>>> [1] 1.00 3.25 4.00

>> -----
>> The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
>> by those who have not got it.  George Bernard Shaw
>> --

-----
by those who have not got it.  George Bernard Shaw